Chomper is a fast growing, fine leafed hybrid with excellent palatability. This hybrid provides a high quality product that can be used for grazing, hay, cut & carry as well as silage. Chomper has a high leaf to stem ratio and has a quick regrowth, making it suitable for multiple cuttings.
Sorghum is best suited to fertile soils. Ensure potassium levels are adequate in acidic soils. Do not exceed 110kg/ha of nitrogen. An independent soil test is advised before sowing.
Avoid grazing or cutting sorghum below 15cm plant height. First grazing or cutting should be conducted at approximately 1 metre to increase plant productivity. Be aware of the risk of prussic acid (HCN) poisoning with forage sorghums. Risk is greatest when crops are < 60 cm high or are
moisture stressed or frosted. Cut or graze when 60–120cm high to maintain best quality.
Sow seeds shallow into adequately moistened soil.
- Standability – Excellent
- Palatability – Excellent
- Digestibility – Excellent
- Seedling Vigor – Very Good
- Intensive Grazing – Very Good
- Range grazing – Very Good
- Hay production – Very Good
- Brix level – sweetness – Low
- Silage – Good
- Planting – soil temp 15° Minimum
- Plant population – Dryland – 120-160,000
- Plant population – Irrigation – 200,000
- Seed size – 30,000/kg approx