Excellent yielding, persistent Group 10 non-dormant variety of alfalfa with resistance to Spotted Alfalfa Aphid, Pea Aphid, Blue Alfalfa Aphid and Root Knot Nematode.
SW 10 alfalfa is a very non-dormant variety, with a dormancy rating of 10. Growth is erect with rapid recovery after cutting. It is adapted to areas of warm and very hot temperatures from the central San Joaquin Valley to the low desert areas of California and Arizona.
Disease, insect and nematode resistance
SW 10 is resistant to Root Knot Nematode and highly resistant to Spotted Alfalfa Aphid, Pea Aphid and Blue Alfalfa Aphid. Evaluations for alfalfa disease are currently in test and look very good.
SW 10 was the highest yielding variety in 2002 University of California Imperial Valley trial of 44 variety entries, second highest average yielding alfalfa in University of Arizona trial of 25 varieties at Tucson – 2001 & 2002.
SW 10 has very quick recovery after cutting. Competes well with Bermuda grass by shading out the grass. Suited to hot climates and to soils with root knot nematode problems. Yields very well in the low desert and hot growing areas of Central California, the Imperial Valley and Arizona.
DISEASE/PEST RESISTANCE KEY:
FALL DORMANCY KEY:
- Excellent yielding, persistent, Group 10 fall dormancy variety. Highest yielding in University of Arizona Forage Trial of 25 varieties at Tucson – 2001 to 2003.
- Second highest average yielding variety in a UC Forage Trial of 44 entries at Imperial Valley – 2001 to 2003.
- Very quick recovery after cutting. Competes well with Bermuda grass by shading out the grass.
- Suited to hot climates and to soils with nematode problems.
- Yields well in low desert, hot areas of the Southern San Joaquin Valley, Imperial Valley and in Arizona.
Major Pest Resistance
- Bacterial WiltResistant
- Verticillium WiltResistant
- Fusarium WiltHighly Resistant
- AnthracnoseModerately Resistant
- Aphanomyces Root RotHighly Resistant
- Phytophthora Root RotResistant
- Spotted Alfalfa AphidHighly Resistant
- Pea AphidResistant
- Blue Alfalfa AphidResistant
- Stem NematodeModerately Resistant
- Southern Root Knot NematodeResistant
- Northern Root Knot NematodeResistant